So, you have a long narrow living or family room, and perhaps you are a little puzzled on how to go about using it to it’s full potential or at least making it appear less long and narrow. Well, I have some quick tips for you so you can achieve this.
1. First off, do not make the shorts walls a featured area. This will just draw your eye right to the other end of the room and emphasize it’s narrowness. So therefore, no accent walls of paint or wallpaper, and if possible, do not place the television or fireplace here.
2. Do try and place the television/fireplace or other focal pieces, on one of the long walls, so that your focus is redirected there.
3. Place furniture away from the short walls wherever possible, so that they are drawn more into the center of the room. Creating two seating areas works well in this kind of room and enables it to be used to it’s full potential.
4. Built ins or shelving units are your friend and can be used on the short walls to create some additional storage and they will inevitably cause the room to be shortened in length.
5. Don’t be afraid of larger pieces of furniture, like sectionals. They take up less space than a sofa and loveseat and give you just as much seating, if not more, and allow you to stretch out to watch your favourite Netflick shows.