So for something a little different, follow five Ottawa bloggers as we set our tables, deck our halls & try to survive the holiday season with style & cheer. Grab your eggnog and toast to the season with us every Monday until Dec 23rd. Happy Holidays!
Alicia @ keepitbeautifuldesigns.com
Fiona @ justsettledown.ca
Gemma @ thesweetestdigs.com
Meredith & Sue @ newberrysykes.com
Here’s the schedule -
Dec 2: Gifts, gifts, gifts
Dec 9: Holiday Decorating
Dec 16: Oh, Christmas Tree
Dec 23: Holiday Traditions
So without further ado, here’s my tips for some serious holiday shopping in the Ottawa area.
First, make a list,
of who’s naughty and nice, of who you need to get gifts for. I always start this as early as possible, in case you need to order items that are hard to find or get. This also helps to keep you on budget, or at least that is what I tell myself. I then organize my shopping excursions to try and avoid hitting the same stores more than once. which saves on gas and perhaps some parking rage during this busy time of year.
1. If you are heading to the Originals Craft Show (December 12 -22 at the Ernst & Young Centre) check out Cori Lee Marvin’s artwork. It is so whimsical and detailed, they are sure to please almost anyone on your list. I have a little piece of her artwork at my cottage, it makes me smile every time I look at it.
2. You can never go wrong with a spa certificate. There are so many wonderful spas in the Ottawa area, finding either the one that they frequent or one near them, will ensure that it gets used quickly. I have to mention Le Nordik Spa here, located in Chelsea, Quebec (only 10 minutes from downtown Ottawa) it is an absolutely relaxing and breathtaking spot to spend a few hours or most of the day. **Photo courtesy of Le Nordik Spa website
3. For the environmentally conscious on your list, head over to Terra20 for some environmental friendly and ingenious gift ideas. Like this Preloved Roma Scarf. made from recycled sweaters and at 8 feet long, very warm and cosy for our cold Ottawa winters.
5. Believe it or not, these adorable Canadian style pillows are from Shepherd’s. This would be perfect for a cottage or log home loving person on your list.
6. This placemat from Terra20 that’s green and great for the feline or feline lover in your life.
7. If the man in your life, wears cuff links these Billy Cuff links are a cool find. Reused and dyed wood make an original statement. also from Terra20.
8. If I had a dog, I would so buy this adorable dog jacket from Bark and Fitz, for him/her to wear.
9. Close to my own heart is my love of trinkets and bling. So this is usually my go to gift for the ladies on my list. A piece of handmade art that you can wear, what more could you want? Urbanite Jewelry - makes pieces inspired by cities around the world, and they are based right here in Ottawa (that’s right no customs or duties and a quick delivery).
For the Senators fan in you life, there’s always tickets to a game or games, a jersey, scarf or hat, therefore a trip to one of the Sens stores may be in order.
For Grandparents, how about enlarging a special photo and having it framed or made into a canvas from PosterJack? And yes they are Canadian.
And if you haven’t heard about it yet there’s always Givopoly, it is an online site which features Ottawa area shops and small businesses. The perfect thing to help with the hard to buy for.
As I previously mentioned check out, OttawaStart, to find a list of local craft shows. So no more excuses, get shopping so you can finish up and enjoy the rest of the holiday season. And a big thank you to Meredith and Sue from NewberrySykes for including me in this 613 Holiday Special.
**Please note I have not been compensated in any way for my selections above.
Be sure to check out the rest of the 613 Holiday Bloggers posts!