Faux roman shades and a little frustration

In my quest to update Woodhaven’s kitchen, I removed the old valances and the wood shutters that were being used as a window treatment.   You can see the shutters and the valances here and the little white knobs that I’ve also changed (you can see them in this post).

Since then I’ve been having a bit of fun with some simple faux roman blinds.  This post is kind of a warning about what not to do…..

I purchased the fabric on a fantastic sale at Kravet awhile back. It’s a beautiful linen from France…ohh la la!  I liked that the yellowish gold picked up on the orange of the pine logs and the blue and green picked up on the colours I’m going with on the main floor.
So far so good.  Here’s some photos showing the process.  Now I can sew, but I am in no means a seamstress.  I generally take the easy way out and being very impatient as well, the results are not always pretty.
First up, I also had some help….
Basically, I measured the window width and determined the length I wanted the shade to be.  I lined the fabric to protect it from the sun and to make it a little more opaque.  Then I sewed three sides together, right sides together.
 Make sure you use your iron, it makes the seams so much nicer and crisper.  After you turn it right side out, iron all the seams so that they are nice and straight.
I left the top seam open and ironed the raw edges into a 2″ hem.  I then sewed the soft side of some velcro onto the back of the fabric.
Opps, forgot to mention, that I had a piece of 2″ thick wood cut to the size of each window width and the loop part of the velcro was then stapled onto it.  This is what the shade will be velcroed to, once it’s finished.
 Now, I measured how far down I wanted the final length of the shade to be and marked it with a pin.  I then accordion folded the fabric,  from the bottom up to the final length mark.
Next, I tacked it down with needle and thread.  My second helper now wants his photo op.
After getting them installed, this is how they looked. Keep in mind that there are four windows and only the two over the sink are the same size….frustrating to say the least.
 I liked how the small window looked but not so much the largest window beside it.  Excuse the photos I certainly didn’t stage this photo very well.
These are the two over the sink, obviously (and can you tell it was Christmas time!).  They were okay but….. I did a little more figuring and decided to stitch the middle up and this is how they look now.  They match the smaller window much better.

Recently, I saw a post from Marcus Design with photos from House and Home that show a similar faux roman shade with ribbons pulling up the shade on each side.  Now, this is another possibility… stay tuned….

via House and Home
And on another note entirely.  If any of you are upset with me because I unsubscribed from your blog feed, please don’t be.  I’m using this great new app called FlipBoard for the iPad and iPhone that allows you to read blogs easily and it helps to keep my inbox a little more manageable.  You should check it out yourself.  Thanks to Donna of dh Designs for the tip.